We all know that sleeping is very important in our lives. Still, some of you may ask yourself why is sleep important? In this article we will show you the benefits of sleeping well, especially when it comes to recovery from surgery.
How Much Do People Sleep?
Our body needs sleeping to recover and get rest for new day. It depends on how old are you, but average adult person needs 7-9 hours of sleep every day. So, as you can see, about 33% of our lives, we are sleeping. For instance, new born babies need 14-17 hours of sleep everyday.
Most of the population does not sleep enough. If you reduce your sleeping time for just 1 hour, it can affect your daily routine very much. There is only 3% people in the World who does not need a lot of sleep.
The best way to check out how much sleep do you need is to try out. Every person is individual, so, for somebody, 6 hours is more than enough to reset, for others, 7 hours may not be enough. For example, I sleep about 5 hours during the night, and then in the afternoon I sleep for 1 or 2 hours more, depending on how tired I am.
Importance of Quality Sleeping
It’s not only the hours what counts when we are speaking about sleeping. Quality of those hours that you spend sleeping is more important. Have you ever fell asleep on a chair? I did, and it wasn’t good feeling when I woke up. Now you understand what I am trying to say.
Two Important Stages Of Sleeping
Two most important stages of sleeping are deep sleep and REM sleep. Deep sleep is time when your body repairs itself and builds up energy for the upcoming day.
REM sleep is mind and mood-boosting stage of sleeping. Your brain is very active (almost as when you are awake), and your eyes move very quickly in different ways. During the REM sleep, you will probably dream. Also, REM sleep helps brain to remember everything you learned that day.
Recovering From Surgery
When it comes to recovering from surgery, which is main goal of our site, sleeping is very important. Our body health is weakened just after surgery and along with all the other things we need to do, at first, we need quality sleep.
During sleep our body will rest and improve recovery. This is because your body is still and muscles can relax 100% which will help your body to recover.
Symptoms of Lack of Sleep
We all had some symptoms. There is no person who is having enough sleep day by day. 21st century is time of very fast living which reduces our sleeping quality in general.
If you have some of those symptoms, you probably need more time in bed:
- Rely on the snooze button
- Need to nap to get through the day (That’s me)
- Get sleepy on work, meetings etc.
- Fall asleep while watching TV or relaxing in the evening
- Fall asleep just when you lay down to bed
- Get drowsy after heavy meals or while driving
- Have a hard time going out from the bed in the morning
- You don’t hear your alarms in the morning
You all probably think that there is nothing you should worry about if you don’t sleep enough. Well, in most cases, you shouldn’t worry if that is not very common.
For example, nothing bad is going to happen if you don’t get enough sleep once or twice a month. However, when sleep deprivation lasts longer than just a few days, a lot of negative effects may happen:
- Fatigue, lethargy, and lack of motivation
- Moodiness and irritability; increased risk of depression
- Decreased sex drive; relationship problems
- Impaired brain activity; learning, concentration, and memory problems
- Reduced creativity and problem-solving skills; difficulty making decisions
- Inability to cope with stress, difficulty managing emotions
- Premature skin aging
- Weakened immune system; frequent colds and infections; weight gain
- Impaired motor skills and increased risk of accidents; hallucinations and delirium
- Increased risk of serious health problems including stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and certain cancers
How Can I Improve Sleep Quality?
To improve your sleep quality you need to find out causes of your sleep deprivation. It can be due to physical or mental health issue. If you think that this is the reason, first thing you should do is go to visit your doctor. Like always, visiting doctor is the smartest choice if you tried all the other ways to get a quality sleep. If that’s the case, you will probably get some therapy from doctor or sleeping pills. But mostly, which is our luck, this is not the case.
What Can I Do?
There are a lot of things that everybody can do to improve quality of sleeping:
- If possible, go to bed and wake up every day at same time, including weekends
- Caffein, alcohol, nicotine, sugary food can disrupt your sleeping, so, avoid them few hours before going to bed
- Don’t eat heavy meals and drinking a lot of water before going to bed
- Get rid of stress from work etc. (do that by exercising, walking, hanging with friends)
- Keep your bedroom dark, cool and quiet
- Avoid stressful conversations late night, also, don’t use your phone/laptop when going to sleep
- Get yourself a quality bed, and more important a quality mattress and pillow
Is Mattress Very Important?
We will be short with this one. Mattress Matters! YES, mattress is one of the most important thing if you want to sleep nice and rest for the upcoming day. If your mattress is bad, you may feel back pain, neck pain and anxiety when you wake up. If you don’t have good one, consider about buying mattress that is proven to be great for sleeping.
There are a lot of modern technologies used to make mattresses and pillows. In our recent article we wrote that only two positions fits people, it’s either laying or standing. So, you can imagine how important it is to lay on a quality mattress and pillow.
However, if you buy a new mattress, give it time to start working. Human body needs up to 60 days to adapt to a new mattress.
If you don’t know how to choose mattress, check out Mattress Buying Guide Video
Just follow steps in this article and you should see changes in few days. It is always important to be full of energy and rested, you will reach higher goals in life, you will have better relationship, you will have more time for everything. Just make yourself a schedule and stick to it as much as possible.
If you have any other questions, feel free to write them below the post as a comment. Also, you can e-mail us on email@example.com